Raymond G. Bender, Esq. is a full-time Commercial Arbitrator serving in domestic and international cases, including those involving complex commercial disputes. Mr. Bender is a Fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators. He is a member of the American Arbitration Association’s Roster of Commercial Arbitrators, including for Washington, D.C.,New York, Technology and Large, Complex Cases; the CPR Panel of Distinguished Neutral Arbitrators for Washington D.C., Technology, Cyber, and Cross-Border (i.e., International) disputes; the International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) International Arbitrators’ Panel and Aviation, Aerospace and National Security Panel; and the Silicon Valley Arbitration & Mediation Center’s (SVAMC) List of the World’s Leading Technology Neutrals. He brings to his alternate dispute resolution (ADR) practice an extensive background and experience of nearly 35 years as a practicing attorney at Dow Lohnes PLLC, Washington DC., where he represented a diverse clientele on a wide range of legal issues as counselor, commercial lawyer, litigator and business advisor.
Specializing in the Resolution of Domestic
and International Commercial Disputes
Ray Bender serves as an Arbitrator in domestic and international commercial disputes, including those involving complex business-to-business controversies. Arbitral appointments as Chair, Panel Member or Sole Arbitrator include the following representative cases:
▪ Chair in ICDR arbitration involving contract disputes between U.S. satellite services distributor and global satellite company.
▪ Chair in AAA arbitration involving disputes over government contracts/subcontracts in the aviation sector.
▪ Panel member in ICC arbitration involving royalty disputes between Asian telecom equipment manufacturer and European service provider.
▪ Panel member in two ICDR arbitrations involving insurance claims in the aerospace/satellite sector.
▪ Panel member in AAA intellectual property arbitration between Fortune 100 companies involving patent and trademark licensing disputes in the biotechnology field.
▪ Sole arbitrator in AAA telecom sector arbitration involving applicability of force majeure contract provisions.
▪ Sole arbitrator in AAA arbitration for breach of contract for computer technical services.
▪ Chair in AAA arbitration involving software licensing disputes in the education services sector.
▪ Chair in AAA arbitration involving video/telecom service provider and real estate development company.
▪ Panel member in CPR arbitration involving contract disputes between manufacturers in the aviation sector.
▪ Panel member in ICDR arbitration over contract disputes between U.S. and European aerospace companies.
▪ Panel member in ICDR arbitration involving computer hardware/software development and licensing disputes in the transportation sector.
▪ Sole arbitrator in ICDR arbitration between U.S. and Asian companies involving contract disputes over production of alternative energy infrastructure.
▪ Sole arbitrator in ICDR arbitration involving contract dispute in the pharmaceutical and telecom sectors.
▪ Chair in ICDR arbitration involving contract disputes over consulting services in international construction.
▪ Panel member in AAA arbitration between mobile telecom company and distributor of broadband services.
▪ Panel member in ICDR arbitration involving medical device dispute between U.S. and European companies.
▪ Panel member in AAA arbitration involving data claims under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA).
▪ Panel member in ad hoc arbitration involving infrastructure dispute in the cellular telecom sector.
▪ Sole arbitrator in CPR arbitration involving on-line services in the non-profit sector.
▪ Sole arbitrator in various AAA arbitrations involving financial transactions.
▪ Emergency arbitrator in ICDR arbitration between U.S. and European companies involving digital media development and services agreement.
▪ Panel member in ICDR arbitration involving contract disputes over purchase and sale of aircraft.
▪ Panel member in ICC arbitration involving contract and licensing disputes in the mobile telephony sector.
▪ Sole arbitrator in AAA arbitration regarding teeming agreement for manufacture of special purpose vehicles.
As a Commercial Arbitrator, Mr. Bender draws on considerable expertise derived from his long tenure as a practicing lawyer, including:
Broad Commercial Experience - corporate, commercial and financial transactions, including the acquisition and disposition of varied businesses; joint ventures; commercial contracts; procurement of sophisticated hardware, software, services and intellectual property; government oversight of regulated industries; and other legal and commercial endeavors.
Technology-Based Practice - particular expertise in legal issues affecting high-tech businesses, including aerospace and satellites, fixed and mobile telecommunications systems, Internet and broadband communications, computer hardware and software, intellectual property, media and other technologies. Broad experience in various other industry sectors as well. He has also served as Arbitrator in high-tech disputes involving pharma, medical devices, agribusiness, and other high-tech sectors.
Skilled Litigator - experienced litigator in proceedings before courts and administrative agencies. Performed internal business investigations in anticipation of or response to governmental investigations.
Negotiator - negotiated commercial contracts, business transactions, and dispute settlements throughout career as an attorney-advocate.
International Background - Extensive involvement in a wide array of international legal projects.